Helen's birthday ticker

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

All things little toot

so i started on this post weeks ago and somehow kept not posting, so there are updates throughout :)

Our little lady is 9 months! It's entirely too close to one year and I'm in complete denial that our teeny baby is quickly becoming a little toddler.... are you sure you don't want to stay my little baby forever, Helen? 

Helen is thriving. She's made some new play friends (AWESOME) that are exactly her age and we've joined some great "mom" groups. She also had her "weight check" appointment (@ 7 months, we went in for a low fever and her weight had dropped OFF the growth chart entirely so they scheduled a special appointment to double check that it did not continue to drop). As of 2 weeks ago, Helen weighed 15 pounds, 10 ounces and is officially back to her normal spot around 8-9%. YAY. The doctors agreed that she likely had a small dip because she is sooo active and moving constantly and at the same time navigating new solid foods/etc. ** UPDATE: we went today at 9 months and she is 8% for weight and 47% for height. on the "adjusted for 36 week" scale, she's 18% and 67% for height!
Everyone always asks me, "well you must have been a small baby right, so she takes after you?" um, NO. I was pullin' in at 100% baby. and Sie was a little chub (as a baby) as well. Helen's her own baby, I suppose!

Milestones & Accomplishments

Helen officially says "mamamama" and "dadadadadada".... "Mama" only when she's needing something (like wanting me to get her out of the crib) or wanting to nurse/be held in the middle of the night. She used to say it all the time when I walked into the room or to call me, but now that she's figured out "dada", "mama" is old news! She also enjoys going to a very high "Mariah Carey" octave when she talks. As in so high, our dogs get nervous. So high it sometimes trails off to inaudible. She also makes a hilarious "thhhhhssshh" noise where here tongue is all twisted up. Must be working on "S" or "Th" - not sure.

Helen is still army crawling (just started occasionally doing regular arms extended crawl, but I really don't see her having much incentive to since she is so fast at army crawling), but with her latest discovery: PULLING UP & STANDING, I think crawling is going to be long gone before we know it. She already constantly straightens her back legs like she's going to stand or bear crawl and loves to sit.stand.sit.stand.sit.stand. ALL DAY. She pulls up on anything and everything she can (sturdy and NOT so sturdy) and the tumbles have already started. ** another addition

She is so joyful and talkative and so much fun at this age. She's into exploring everything and of course putting EVERYTHING in her mouth. She makes a noise when she's excited/wants to check something out that ranges somewhere between heavy panting and monkey noises :) Must get it on video!

She loves dogs, making animal noises, singing itsy bitsy spider and going on walks in the baby bjorn. It's going to break my back but I have a feeling we'll be walking her around in that thing for AWHILE. it makes her so happy - especially walking the dogs.

We go to the park alot because there are some great ones in easy walking distance. She likes the swings and watching all the "big kids".

In other news, I'm making a special dinner for our neighbors (she's made us several seriously elaborate 10 course meals), so I have GOT to make something outstanding.

so far on the menu:
- bruschetta
- french onion soup (that doesnt use beef broth, she's pescatarian)
- scallops donna - the famous Tony's recipe with pasta
- twice baked butternut squash
- arugula salad with goat cheese
- dessert... here's where I'm stuck. I think I may be going store bought and pick up some pretty fruit tarts from whole foods. if anyone has any suggestions - preferably something make ahead - please share! :)

here are some pics of Helen these days:

picnicking at the pumpkin patch!

Loves her books!

naked baby

Courage: fearlessly navigating cheerios. haha!

toot!




1 comment:

Becky said...

I miss that lil toot...can't till Thanksgiving.