Helen's birthday ticker

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Revelations & Lessons Learned.... so FAR!

10.7.08

I know, I know- we took a brief hiatus from the blog! (OK, like a month!!) I hope we havent completely run off our reader-base. :) I started back to work at the busiest time of our client's year. To make up for it though- we're promising THREE new blogs this week!! haha.

First things first, I need a vote: do people prefer the email reminders when we do a new posting, or would you prefer not to receive those and just read at your own pace? Let me know. My mom likes the email reminders... but something tells me she's biased!

This is going to be a quick post (i think, we'll see after I get going!). BUT we've got Virginia Wine Festival & my mom, Aunt Sheri & Pat visited so we've got lots more to post!

So I wanted to take a minute to re-cap on some lessons learned since we've been here. I was riding the metro & started thinking about how every day here is so completely different than how we lived in Dallas, so i started immediately jotting down ideas for all the funny/not-so-funny things we've learned or grown accustomed to since moving here.

#1 goes with out saying... : Movers SUCK.

It's a fact of life (apparently)- but in Texas, to be honest, Sie & I never used anything but a U-Haul, and our own bulging biceps. HAHA, ok i'm lying- but we did always do it the old fashioned way- usually with the help of our family or friends.

This time, we were going to do it different. We were going to let them do it all: just sit back, relax and let the movers do all the work. WOW, we were SO off-base!

First, it seems to be a generally accepted rule, all movers are over-priced & your stuff never arrives on time. We learned that the VERY hard way after our stuff didnt show up for 12 days after they said and turned out to cost almost double.

We had asked for 48 hours notice- b/c in D.C. you have to pick up signs to block off the street so trucks can park (and let's not forget our street is one way with cars parked on both sides of the street!) Our driver called when he was 10 miles away. Not only were we not home, but the signs we had gotten were for a different day/time entirely. Sie was still at work, so I immediately raced across town (via BUS) to get home. Right as I get home, they call to say they've had truck trouble, and wont be at our house for a couple of hours. (glad i rushed!) ;)

Then, I get the call. They're here (WOOHOOO)- but to save time, they havent moved our stuff to a smaller truck- they've brought the full semi and are now attempting to wedge their way down our street. I've posted some pictures below- but they dont convey what a spectacle this really was!

I literally had to help cars REVERSE back down our street each time they'd drive down and see a SEMI had it completely blocked. The movers got 2 tickets while they were parked out front and proceeded to get in a shouting match with the local enforcement. Meanwhile, they unloaded all our stuff onto the street corner and the street so they could move the thing out of the way as quickly as they could. The neighbors were just thrilled I'm sure.

It all worked out- we did have more than a FEW items break and I think we've DEFINITELY re-considered our moving philosophy! :)






Over the past month, we've often questioned our packing choices (i.e. "why on EARTH did we bring this?"), even though I swear we had bags of clothing/etc to donate before leaving Dallas. One night while unpacking, I heard Sie say, "well, I'm so glad we brought this." I came into the hallway to find:

You know, just in case we ever NEED a giant sombrero, we're good to go!

#2 DC doorways and halls.... ARE TINY.

The doorway to our living room is both an odd width AND height, not to mention randomly arched. Even though the movers tried furiously to get our couch in the living room to no avail, Sie and I were convinced WE could make it happen.

After hours of trying to wedge our leather couch into our living room, we accepted defeat. The doorway won, but had gotten beat up in the process:




#3 Metro doors are NOT like elevator doors....

This announcement comes over the loud speaker on the metro daily, and I never gave it much thought.

One day, on a very busy stop, a woman got on & the doors CLOSED on her HAIR! Since the doors alternate, opposite side opens at each stop- we couldnt get her hair out until 2 stops later! she was surprisingly calm- but for my first week at work, I definitely had an awesome story to tell.

Then, one day getting on at Dupont (a very crowded stop), the person in front of me steps onto the train, and then stands there. (metro rules of ediquette- let others unload first, and when you get on, get as far on as you can) I said, "excuse me" loudly and... nothing. She just stands there oblivious, blocking the entire doorway. And then the doors close. ON MY BACKPACK. so i'm standing stuck in the doorway, terrified. I started to take off my backpack, because there was no way I was going to stand there stuck inside the doorway like a freak, when a nice man, takes the top of my bag and gives one big tug to pull me all the way inside.

I spent the remainder of the ride legs shaking, giving my best evil glare to the idiot she-man who had just stood there while all this happened! If I ever see her again, she will RUE the DAY!

#4 Sex and the city- lies, all lies

I'm the biggest SATC fan- but I have to say when it comes shoe-wear, the girls are just lying to us. I tried heels ONE day to work- and my return home was like a death march.

let's face facts: real women where flip flops or tennis shoes to & from the metro and put their heels on at work ONLY! haha. If not for your feet, for your shoes! They get so beat up. just had to set the story straight!!

#5 Always have an umbrella. Especially when you rely on public transportation and WALK home!

#6 never try to identify the smells in the metro.

and that's all we've got so far!!

We are enjoying DC so much. Of course, there's so much more to see and do, and clearly lots more lessons to learn (i'm SURE!). So far we've had SUCH a great time & really do love it here.

We've even met some great people & have started making some good friends. We were lucky enough to meet up with an old friend of mine (Amanda Cleghorn) from junior high/high school, who also recently moved here, and it's been so awesome to hang out with her again.

Here are some pics of a fun night out in Adams Morgan with Amanda, her b.f. Chasen & some of his friends (Andy & Joe). The night ended of course with GINORMOUS pizza by the slice at 4:00 am! :)




Andy attempting to eat his ALL IN ONE BITE!




One of the best changes we've experienced is how much more time we seem to spend outside. On the weekends, we'll walk to Dupont and check out the local farmers market or take the metro to Eastern Market- a huge flea & farmers market. Here are some pics from recent trips to the markets.

at Dupont Farmer's market:





Enjoying the MOST incredible crepes at Eastern Market:







4 comments:

chadhuston said...

Looks like you guys are getting settled in in the big city.

Stephen said...

Katie and Sie! It's so great to see that you're adjusting so well after a big move! I like your lessons learned, we definately feel your pain! DC and Liege may not be all that different... um, ok, they are! Keep up the posts!

Anonymous said...

cuzzy, we are in desperate need of a phone date, but dc seems fantastic. i MISS YOU!!!!!!!! ill see you at thanksgiving right??? i need to come visit asap, it looks like a place i would love, my mom went on and on about how she wants me to move there instead of LA!!! (which, p.s., me and my best friend are visiting there THIS WEEK to scope things out) anyway, i don't know how long is too long to post on a blog, i've never done this before, but i wanted to say hey and that i love ya. can't wait to talk! BYEEEE! p.s. sad razorback game tonight :( im glad you watched it though! -cuzzy whitney

Anonymous said...

p.s. i looked mysterious being anonymous, until i signed my name whitney bahahahahahahahahahaha